How to choose a weight loss surgeon
Making the decision to have bariatric surgery is one thing, choosing a surgeon and practice is a whole other task! It’s important to do your research – have a look at websites and speak to friends and family. Also try and connect with others who have had the surgery; you can do this through online forums. Your general practitioner may also be able to help you with a starting point.
You need to feel comfortable with your surgeon and the team, and that they’re going to help you achieve the best long-term results.
Questions to ask
The things you may want to ask your surgeon and their team include:
- Where did you complete your medical and surgical training?
- Are you involved in research and teaching?
- Am I a good candidate for surgery?
- What procedures do you offer?
- How many times have you completed these surgeries?
- What does the post-surgery support program include?
- What are the risks?
- Is the procedure reversible?